Saturday, April 10, 2010

TOPICS AND SUCH


OK so my first possible topic is about this nasty hot dog eating contest poster. I dont know exactly why i think its interesting but I really really do think it is. I mean look at those two dudes on the poster go at those hotdogs. Like I just like how food can be used not only in all the ways we discussed in class but it has even been adopted into an actual contest. And that these contests are participated in by nationalities across the world(as can be seen by the man different people on the poster)

My second topic is about this pic I found of this dude eating out of a garbage dump, which for some reason seems to be steaming. This just seems interesting because it seems to me that this guy doesnt really look like a poor man but hey what do i know. Like I think that mostly I believe that this would be a good way to compare like a poor vs rich peoples eating habits and diets. And yeah thats kinda it. Btw this is the pic http://photos.merinews.com/upload/imageGallery/bigImage/1239639617742.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I do think the picture is interesting, and I think you make a really good point. We use food in so many ways; not just to communicate or socialize over, but even in a contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make either of your sources work, but I think the eating contest poster would be more amenable to analysis, especially since you're a lot more familiar with it. If you aren't sure about the basic situation depicted in your second picture, it's perhaps best to avoid it, as you'll need that information for your analysis.

    Based on that, you may want to check out an awesome book that I saw online the other day, but that I haven't had a chance to read myself yet: http://www.amazon.com/Horsemen-Esophagus-Competitive-Eating-American/dp/0307237389 It should give you a ton of basic information that you need. You may also want to compare your poster to ones for sporting events held by the UFC and boxing, since it seems remarkably similar to me.

    P.S. The guy may be a Freegan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely have better luck writing about the hotdog eating competition. Stuff like that is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the hotdog eating contest poster also, because it shows that not only food can be eaten for survival and satisfaction, but also for competition.

    ReplyDelete